Important Information about the Scuba Diving Tank

0

YouTube Preview ImageIt is common knowledge for most people of what a scuba diving tank looks like however, not everyone knows what it actually is or how it functions. The following write-up is for those who do not have the knowledge on this highly essential piece of equipment but have an interest in scuba diving.

A myth that most people have about scuba diving tanks is that they contain pure oxygen. This is not actually the case. Oxygen makes up only 21% with nitrogen taking up the remaining 79% of an actual scuba diving tank. This is pretty close to the air that we breathe. A scuba diving tank containing pure oxygen runs the risk of being toxic when at shallow depths. This is the main reason why compressed air is desired for recreational diving.

Aluminum is the choice of material for most typical recreational scuba diving tanks which are able to hold 80 cubic ft of compressed air. The height and diameter of a scuba diving tank is 2ft. and a ½ foot respectively. On average, scuba diving tanks are filled with an average of 2000 psi of gas pressure allowing no more than 3000 psi which is its’ limit. The US Department of Transportation monitors scuba diving tanks so as to ensure that quality standards are adhered to. This makes certain that both quality and safety are its main priorities.

Tips and Reminders:

1. A diving shop with a good reputation and standards should be used to fill the scuba tanks.

2. Ensure that the dive shop compressors are not in an area of high risk. This would include not being in an area near flames or fumes which may find its way inside the pump. Choose a dive shop that you feel is safe.

3. Keep the scuba diving tank away from direct sunlight and heat exposure. This includes leaving it inside a parked car. Doing this runs the risk of the tank expanding and exploding.

4. Store the scuba diving tank in the trunk of the car when traveling. Ensure the valve faces away from the direction of the passengers to make certain that it does not propel toward the passengers should the valve get damaged.

5. Replace a damaged or missing rubber valve protector when needed. Prior to any use of the tank, remove this rubber valve protector and make sure the O-ring is inspected.

6. Next is to connect the buoyancy compensator on the tanks body.

7. Put together the first stage of your regulator on the scuba diving tanks valve.

8. A clockwise directional turn is needed for the valve’s knob to be opened. The next step is to turn it back for a half turn.

9. Check the gauges and take note of the tanks pressure.

10. When underwater, make it a habit to always check on the tanks air pressure and how much air is remaining.

11. Cease all scuba diving at a point well beyond the tanks minimum pressure point. This ensures all bases are covered for any emergencies.

12. After the dive, ensure all attachments are stored in a cool environment when you have removed them from the tank.

Looking after a scuba diving tank is not rocket science as they are not that complicated to use . It takes care and dedication and is easy if you know what steps to take. Have fun Scuba Diving and enjoy yourself.

Filed under Scuba Equipment Talk by  #

Leave a Comment

Login